Sandy’s Film Reviews
About me: John OShea at the Onslow College Film Club helped open my eyes to quality movies in the early 60s. Since then I was a regular at the Auckland Film Festival and later the Wellington Film Festival from 1983. My taste is very wide; currently documentaries (truth is very edgy), including blues music & other popular genres. Great films seen include the Iranian film The Separation and Marcel Ophuls Memory of Justice...and many more!
My website: Takaro.
544 Films have been rated or reviewed by Sandy.
- Wildlife (2018)
- Moving, but not simplistic. Life in the US for poor whites, 1960. Nothing about wildlife! Sexual relationships in poor families are driven by the money–earning ability of men. The interaction of economics & love is very relevant to NZ problems.
- DVD $29.95
- Mr. Stein Goes Online (Un profil pour deux) (2017)
- Uniquely unusual – not quite a farce, but a complex film about love & loneliness and manipulation. Fast–paced, complex, & sophisticated. Full of subtle jokes. Nothing like it in English. Very entertaining!
- DVD $24.95
- Thérèse Desqueyroux (Therese Desqueyroux) (2012)
- Beautifully lit, composed & acted – what more! An agonising tale. Audrey Tautou is splendid; more intense than ever. Her best performance so far, I think. Filmed in Aquitaine, SW France. Terrific!
- DVD $19.95
- Circumstance (2011)
- Long, dull tale of the "interests" of privileged Tehran schoolgirls. If you are really interested in the realities of Tehran women, read Brooks' excellent account in 'Nine Parts of Desire'; don't waste your time with this rubbish!
- Seagull, The (2018)
- Universally fine acting. Long & complex.
- DVD $39.95
- Violette (2013)
- Portrays the rotten lives of Frenchwomen during & post WW2 & challenging picture of a determined woman writer to establish herself at the highest level. Finely recreated dark interiors of cafes & rooms. Characters have substance & are very convincing.
- Life and Debt (2001)
- Jamaican economy & infrastructure crippled by US govt thru "cheap" IMF loans, backed by multinationals (Dole, Del Monte). French islands like Martinique, Guadalupe & Reunion are part of France to get EU loans, but Jamaica is a victim of globalisation.
- About Elly (2009)
- You'll never see better ensemble acting than in in this moving, realistic & densely–plotted film of life in today's Iran. Complex, subtle & v. original. At the heart, a mystery. These people Trump wants to kill! Tubbs' comments inappropriate.
- DVD $29.95
- RBG (2018)
- The life, courage & even humour of the long–lived Justice who achieved so much for the Rights of Women in America. Very topical, as those rights she fought for so hard are eroded by Trump. US Constitution is a white man's document overdue for revision.
- DVD $24.95
- Hotel Artemis (2018)
- Very violent & incoherent. Not worth watching!
- DVD $34.95