Pearce’s Film Reviews
77 Films have been rated or reviewed by Pearce.
- Under the Silver Lake (2018)
- Some movies are mysteries. This one is a code cracker. If you solve the t–shirt with the circles on it at the start, you're on your way.
- DVD $24.95
- Game of Death (1973)
- Cheap and nasty American cash–in, only gets two stars for the too–short fight scenes with the real Bruce at the end. You're better off watching the uncut footage on disc 2.
- Game of Death 2 (1981)
- Once this stops being a Brucesploitation movie and develops its own identity, it's a weird and wildly entertaining psychotronic kung fu oddity with great high–kicking fights featuring Korean master Hwang Jang–lee. Much better than Game of Death 1.
- Way of the Dragon (1973)
- Bruce's only film as director is one of his best, and was the model for local comedy Tongan Ninja. Too much broad comedy but when the fight scenes finally arrive they're superb.
- Enter the Dragon (1973)
- The third–best Bruce Lee kung fu film after Fists of Fury & Way of the Dragon. Director Robert Clouse doesn't know how to film fight scenes, but it has blaxploitation–era charm, a rare chance to hear Lee's real voice & a glimpse of the great Angela Mao.
- Super (2010)
- Great combination of black comedy, serial killer movie and masked avenger film. Probably the only vigilante movie that really gets at how disgusting the genre is. Makes a perfect double with Bobcat Goldthwaite's God Bless America.
$29.95 $14.95 | Blu-Ray $39.95 $14.95
- God Bless America (2011)
- A little too didactic, but funny and unafraid to go wildly over the top into taboo territory. Would make a great double feature with James Gunn's Super.
- Sleeping Dogs Lie (2006)
- Probably the best romantic comedy about blowing a bulldog that has yet been made.
- Quills (2000)
- A contentious portrait of Sade, who definitely was not the slightly naughty luvvie he is portrayed as here, but spirited entertainment.
- Harry Brown (2009)
- Daft reactionary nonsense, likely to appeal to stuffy old farts who would like to be allowed to shoot their young noisy neighbours.
$10 $5, $14.95