Shorty’s Film Reviews
72 Films have been rated or reviewed by Shorty.
- Being There (1980)
- Still holds up as a smart fable. Of course, in reality, a man who doesn't read and only watches TV could never become President of the United States of America, right?!
- Ruling Class, The (1972)
- A savage skewering of the British aristocracy and their waning Empire. Bit long–winded, but good fun.
- Denial (2016)
- Fine script and acting.
- Anglo Saxon Attitudes (TV Series) (1992)
- The satire is thin on the ground until the final episode.
- DVD $29.95
- Religulous (2008)
- Perhaps the old Hollywood biblical epic clips are overused here, but Bill still makes a good plug for humorous scepticism. And his mum talks sense too.
- Fairytale: A True Story (1997)
- Comic fantasy take on the notorious Cottingley Fairies.
- French Lieutenant's Woman, The (1981)
- Very meta, very enjoyable.
- Seven Percent Solution, The (1976)
- Excellent tongue–in–cheek addition to the Sherlock Holmes legend. Great cast.
- Ripping Yarns (TV Series) (1977-1979)
- Amiable Pythonesque silliness. Slightly odd–story–out is the touching 'Golden Gordon' (with, it looks like, a brief walk–on by John Cleese).
- Porgy and Bess (1993)
- Full operatic production using Gershwin's original score.